Sunday, October 02, 2005

I have yet to master Beta

So i'm browsing through a thrift store in San Dog with Tawni (yesterday was her birthday), and i happened upon these little treasures.

For those unfamiliar, Beta was a video format released around the same time VHS was, back in the late 70s/early 80s. Many would argue that the Beta format was superior to VHS. I think it should've been strictly on the strength of its size. Whatever the specs were, VHS eventually outsold Beta, the machines claimed more titles, and was able to squeeze Beta out of the market.

I've discovered that there are still Beta afficionados, even today, though DVD has now replaced most AV media.

As you can see from the picture, someone with EXCELLENT taste has decided to donate their last grip of the movement that never was. I'm not too certain where these titles will find their home, but i can tell you that I'll be displaying a copy of Goonies in my place to show my support of simpler times, and fantastic imagination.

It's almost 7, and the weekend sun is making its way west, where weary souls await its warmth. I imagine Monday is starting somewhere. Though i have yet to discover what it will mean to me, I can tell you this: someone's waking to a Monday that will change their world forever.
My disappearing sun will bring someone love, and another heartache. It will be someone's last sunrise, and be burnt into another's life and mind as their first day of life. Someone will be fired, and another will start his professional career. Everything will happen tomorrow under the sun that just left my sight, while i sit still in today with my Beta cassette from yesterday.

I'm smiling about it, so, does anything else REALLY matter?

Yeah, I don't think so either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home