Saturday, September 24, 2005

A drip off the ol' block

This is the new machine.

Monday morning:

After the usual thorough cleaning, and prepping (which includes grinding espresso beans, opening a new can of condensed milk, and finding another location for the espresso lamp), i fired the puppy up.

I haven't felt like such a rookie in a LONG time. Not only did my shots sit under the filter for about a full minute (which 'expires' them) but my steamed milk yielded NO FOAM, and the bottom of the mug held half of the syrups and powders i added UNMIXED.

Poop.

The shots themselves weren't bad, but a little weak. The problem with the milk seemed to be that it was boiling too quickly, which could mean that it either wasn't cold enough, or the pressure on the steam was too high. I spoke to a pro about it, and she suggested that i start steaming immediately after pouring the milk. And that i pour the milk immediately after taking it outta the fridge. I also put more grounds in the filter, and tampered them more. With the amount of pressure coming from the boiler, it made sense. My old machine's instructions specifically stated not to compress the grounds, so i hadn't been.

By Wednesday, i had the new-to-me machine figured out.

Apparently there are little tricks to brewing espresso that are machine specific. At any rate, it's turned out to be a well-spent $7.80.

Stop by for a jolt. If you like your drink, and your name is remembered, don't forget to tip your barista.

Make the weekend memorable.

Peace out, my ninjas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home